The castle-like structure on the Roycroft Campus at the corner of Main and South Grove Streets was built in 1899 and had various uses during the lifetime of the original Roycroft enterprise. It was a library, offices for sales, accounting and administration, artist studios, and a display gallery.
Unfortunately, the small, leaded gothic windows in the first floor main room did not let in much light, so skylights were added to this part of the building in 1905. As reported in the East Aurora Advertiser on January 26, 1905, “The Roycrofters have placed a skylight in their Chapel and for the present transformed it into an art gallery. They now have an exhibition of twenty-four fine printings done by J. Otis Adams of Indianapolis. Several of these pictures were shown at the World’s Fair at St. Louis. Visitors are welcome.”
The skylights are still visible on the exterior of the building, and eventually will be restored to bring more light back into the interior as well. The Chapel interior can be seen on the extended Roycroft Campus tour. See the RCC website for details.